Lyme, New Hampshire, has been welcoming travelers for over 200 years. In the 1800s Lyme was a stop on well-traveled stage and freight lines that ran along the east side of the Connecticut River. Lyme also drew traffic from the Boston–Montreal stage route, and at one point, more than a dozen taverns and inns graced the Lyme Common. A primary source of travelers was, and still is, Dartmouth College in nearby Hanover. Today the Lyme Inn is one of the few remaining inns in Lyme and is still welcoming visitors of Dartmouth, Hanover, and other destinations in the Upper Valley.
The Lyme Inn has had several incarnations. The original building, built in 1809, became Grant’s Tavern in 1820, when it opened to travelers. Taverns—as many of the early stagecoach stops were called—housed and fed road-weary travelers who had survived the bumpy roads and other hazards of 1800s stagecoach travel. Over the course of its existence, the Lyme Inn has also been known as Grant’s Hotel and the Alden Country Inn. Today’s Alden Grant Suite pays homage to these early incarnations.
In addition to its many years as an inn and tavern, the structure has housed a number of businesses, including milliners and tinsmiths. It also served as the local Grange Hall, with dancing in the third-floor ballroom.
In the last couple of decades, the historic building, at the head the Lyme Common, has primarily functioned as an inn, and the structure has been extensively renovated. Today, it is beautifully appointed in a way that reflects its historic roots while offering all of the modern conveniences that today’s travelers require.
Come enjoy historic elegance and contemporary luxury in a casual country setting at the Lyme Inn.